Tuesday, 15 January 2013

Old fashioned canna Lilies

I have a love-hate relationship with canna lilies. Quite a few times I have seen them in other people's gardens, thought they looked great, planted them en masse only to be a bit underwhelmed with the results.

However, there is one variety I have that will always have a space for in the garden. I don't know what it is called, but do know it is a very old-fashioned variety. You sometimes see it planted among old farmhouses in far Western Sydney. It has these delicate, spider-like orange blooms:





After flowering is finished, you are left with these unusual spiky purple seed pods:


This canna is more free-flowering than other types. The flowers are longer lasting than other types. It can grow very tall, almost 3 metres in height.

For comparison, I have this red one below. It looks pretty but the flowers usually only last a day before falling off, or die on the stem. It can look rather messy.



                                                                          Happy Gardening!

8 comments:

  1. I'm not a big fan of Cannas. Planted en masse they tend to look rather tired and ugly after a few years. It takes a lot of work to cut down the old dying stalks, and most people don't bother after a while.

    Your old-fashioned pale orange Canna does look fantastic though. That's a truly lovely colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Bernie. This orange one is unique in that it never looks tired or messy, not matter what time of year. The red ones will be removed soon

      Delete
  2. mmm I have a couple of cannas, and they don't seem to like being among other plants. They struggle along and occasionally put out a flower or two, but I must say they are not my favourites either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also think they are bit hard to work in the garden because their colours are so bright. They stand out and don't mix well. This pale orange one is the only canna I know that flowers for a long time, works well with other plants, and doesn't go rusty or messy.

      Delete
  3. My grandma planted a big clump of the old-fashioned cannas and they seem to be perpetually in bloom. I'm not fond of the new varities too. They go floppy the next day. I like the seed pods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Adam, thanks for visiting my post in my old site, you might see my new blogsite a bit better. Canna plants are beautiful when fully in bloom, i love it too but not anymore after that, and the somewhat invasive habit of the rhizomes. That's what happened to my Heliconia rostrata and the orange one, it is a big job removing old stems, leaves and minimize rhizomes. I also browsed on all your older posts, yes you have almost a tropical garden already!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Andrea,
    I love your sites and have a real affinity with your country. I grew up among a huge Filipino community here and even my ex was from Batangas! I really like the food, especially the Kampapangangan one! Thank you for visiting my blog

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...