Tuesday, 5 June 2012

Winter colour

The weather is dismal. Grey, wet, cold (about 13 degrees celcius) and bitterly windy, the house is my retreat at the moment. Although I love the garden, sometimes I appreciate this weather for actually forcing me out of the garden - I spend so much time there I forget I have other interests, too!

Luckily at this time of year there is plenty going on to keep me entertained. First is my zygocactus (schlumbergera). This one is the old-fashioned deep cerise-colored one. I give it no attention all year and despite this, it gives me two flushes of blooms - one in late Autumn and the other in mid-winter.


The blooms are followed by these pink fruits which last a very long time (these are from last year!). I plan to propagate them when they eventually become ripe:


Another very happy plant at this time of year is the one below. I did know its name once, but it escapes me today (something to do with monkeys?). I do remember it is a warm-climate ground cover which likes sheltered spots. It thrives on neglect and blooms throughout winter for me:


The foliage is velvety and fury and has an interesting sliver stripe pattern to it.


It roots easily in water or soil and grows rapidly. I left this one in an out-of-the-way spot where it did OK until I stored some stacks of pots next to it - it then went crazy and doubled in size (it must really like its privacy).

The blooms are pretty in dark corners where nothing else will grow.

Thanks for visiting! Hope you have a great day :)

4 comments:

  1. Hello
    really enjoying your blog.
    I am gardening in Toronto, Canada
    but love to learn about flowers from around the world.
    During my vacations on Caribbean islands I love to take pictures of tropical plants.
    Started a new blog and publish my pictures here:
    http://guildwoodgardens-mypictures.blogspot.ca/
    - Cheers Gisela.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gisela,
      Thank you, I'm happy to hear you enjoy my blog. I've joined yours too.
      Adam

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous Schlumbergera. The old fashioned cerise ones are just spectacular. How fantastic that yours blooms twice in the year. Mine have only been blooming once a year, but maybe that's because they're still young. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

    The other lovely thing looks like the Monkey Plant Ruellia, Ruellia makoyana. Lovely blooms.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...