Saturday, 23 June 2012

What's flowering this time of year

I haven't been in garden for over two weeks, which for me may as well be two years. Incessant rain and below average temps (15c - brrr!) have kept me well away. Luckily today offered a respite and I managed to get some tasks done. Here are some of the flowers which are in the garden today.

The Thunbergia grandiflora is still sprouting buds, although the blooms are half their usual size


The black-eyed susan is always in bloom.


I've noticed the Clerodendrum speciosum is really going well at this time of year, blooming bigger and better than ever


The ornamental bananas are doing well. Above is velutina and below is ornata. They are blooming well but smaller than at other times of the year


It is rather cold at this time of year and days are short. Our mornings aren't too bad (no frost recorded here) but days seldom go above 16. This is fine for a few weeks, even a month or so, but for three continuous months it does take a toll on the plants.

So far, however, so good.

10 comments:

  1. Well the plants that are blooming in your rather cool conditions look great. Love the Clerodendrum and those ornamental banana blooms. Up here our daytime winter temps are around 25-26 deg C, but our night-time temps have been quite erratic. Our coolest night it got down to 8 deg C, and we've had everything between 10 deg C and 19 deg C in between.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bernie, everything is flowering fine - just smaller than usual. These temperatures are far below normal for this time of year, but so far everything is dealing with it OK - except me. I am amazed at some of the lows up your way as I have been observing Cairns weather (my former town) and they've had lows 10 below average!!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The banana plant grows wild in our place. The Thunbergia attracts a lot of fiery red ants and large carpenter bees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That doesn't sound good. Here many people in the northern tropics think it is a weed - but I really love it. There is a white one too

      Delete
  4. I love your Clerodendrum specious and that two ornamental bananas. The red is fiery! And that pink is charming and once I saw some of these ornata types, the younger ones look really cute ;-) You have wonderful plants and yes I also think it is remarkable that they flowering right now at your place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steph. I think Clerodendrum speciosum should be available in Malaysia as it is a tropical plant...have you seen it there?

      Delete
  5. I love your Clerodendrum specious too.
    I have the white version & it is doing well so far.
    I have not seen the red version like the one in your garden.
    Hopefully I might get to see it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your ornamental banana trees are exotic. I've many vines of Thunbergia grandiflora in my garden. I love them for their masses of blue flowers. They are a magnate for bumblebees. You can read about it in my latest post: 'Flight of the bumblebee'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are beautiful flowers. The racemes on yours seem longer than mine. Have you seen the pure white version? It is less common. I tried to take cuttings but they were difficult to strike (the mauve version is easier).

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...