Saturday, 2 June 2012

Mexican Flame Vine (Pyrostegia venusta)

I learnt it's name as Mexican Flame Vine, but this beautiful climber is also known by a plethora of others - Orange Trumpet Vine, Flame Vine, Firecracker vine and Venusta vine. The beautiful, vivid orange blooms usually appear mid-winter but seem to have bloomed earlier this year. I found this lovely specimen beautifying an otherwise boring Sydney laneway:

The flowers are tubular and arranged in clusters. No perfume but with flowers this eye-catching, a scent would be superfluous:
The plant is reputed to be very cold sensitive which is unusual as it is flourishes in Sydney (or maybe our climate isn't that cold)
I like the combination of the burgundy wandering jew transcendia creeper with the shiny green leaves and orange blossoms.

I've successfully propagated this plant from cuttings, although they take long to root and are very slow to establish this way. Flame vine isn't rampant but climbs via tendrils and always seeks the highest point of the nearest structure. It generally grows well in warm-temperate climates and north.

I've always thought the plant would look great on a front fence with a background of vivid red poinsettia. The beauty of such a combination is demonstrated on the illustrated travel poster below:



8 comments:

  1. This is such a common sight up here, but I've never grown it in any of my gardens. I've been wanting to give it a go for some time now. Maybe I might just bite the bullet this year and get some!

    Thanks for popping by my blog and leaving your kind comment. That's led me back to your blog and now you have a new follower.

    You were asking about the variegated Crossandra ... no it's not all that rare, well at least not up here. If you ever want to try some, I can easily send some little babies down to you. I grow mine in a pot, but it will do equally as well in the ground and it doesn't self-seed quite as much as the other Crossandras.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for visiting my blog; yours has been a source of inspiration and envy for some time and it is a pleasure to have you among my followers.

    I may take you up on your offer of the crossandra; of course I'll have to wait until the weather warms up so it might be a while.

    Same goes here; if you see anything you like, let me know. I used to live in Cairns and found that it often easier to buy newly-released tropic plants here in Sydney than up there because of the bigger market here. although our climate isn't the best, it must be more profitable for producers because of the larger population.

    I hope you enjoy visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Adam,
    Thanks for visiting my blog, and like Bernie I will now be be following along on your adventures. That Mexican flame vine reminds me of a honeysuckle vine we had as kids, and we used to suck the nectar out of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Africanaussie,

      I am happy to have you as a member and hope you enjoy my blog. I have heard about people sucking on honeysuckle flowers, hence the name:)I've never been brave enough to try though

      Delete
  4. Such a beautiful vine! Love the orange colour and it's amazing to see how it covers that fence so well with its big bunches of flowers and lush foliage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie, have you seen it in Malaysia? It is very common in Australia but I am not sure about the equatorial tropics.

      Delete
    2. I haven't seen it before. Well, maybe one day.

      Delete
  5. Hi, just curious if you have ever heard of this plant being used for a drink? There are a few mexican plants I have heard of where they boil the petals or the leaves to make tea or even cold drinks. Anything like that with this plant?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...