Saturday, 28 January 2012

Climbing Frangipani (Chonerorpha fragrans)


This is the second time I have encountered this pretty climber. The first time was a sad little specimen 10cm high that as over $70. Not knowing anything about its cultivation, I thought it might be better to hold off until I could be sure it would grow here .


Since growing my own, I can testify (although not that apparent in the photos) that the appearance of the blooms bears an uncanny resemblance to the Frangipani (Plumeria rubra). It also shares a fragrance that is exactly like Plumeria obtusa, or 'Singapore White'.

Native to tropical Asia, it is a vigorous, evergreen climber but can go semi-deciduous if temperatures drop below 10 degrees celcius. It prefers an acidic soil and is not commonly available, owing to the difficulty in propagating it.

1 comment:

  1. Its a pretty vine. Like you, I've always love vines as they are floriferous. The only problem with vines is that we have to be secateur-happy to prevent it from looking like a hippy vegetation.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...